Thursday, June 25, 2009

Promotions!

No, not for me or Rod! For our girls!

Both girls will be entering new schools in the Fall.

Lauren has finished a 9 year career at Astatula Elementary School for the Arts. The first 2 years involved bringing in treats and supplies for parties and activities and looking quietly at books while Mom helped in the classroom. When she entered Pre-K she met kids that she has had in classes with her on and off for 6 years! She finished up 5th grade as one of the top students in her grade! Now, she's heading off to Tavares Middle School to take on new challenges like lockers (with combination locks!), changing for gym class, after-school sports and possibly honors classes! She hasn't mentioned the concern that was #1 with Renee, getting lost!

After Renee's first day of Middle School, I asked her if she got lost at all.
"Yes!!"
"More than once?"
"Yes!! 7 times!!"
"But, 'Ne, your first 2 classes are in the same room. You didn't get lost then did you?"
(The look that it is amazing I made it to adulthood, being so dense and all.) "Lunch Mom. I had to go to lunch!"

After Renee's second day of Middle School, I asked her if she got lost at all.
(The look.) "No! Of course not!"

But, now she starts an even bigger challenge, high school. Yes, Renee will be a Freshman at Tavares High School. I cannot believe it! I know it's time. I was there for it all. Yet, it amazes me that we are here, ready to enter High School! It's kinda freakin' me out.
I am so pleased that she has been able to have some of the same friends since Kindergarten. She is still on the shy side and talks when it's necessary. She really is quite funny. Her firends that have been there all along know it better than the ones she knows for a short while.

Entering HS, she had to choose a Major. Hello, are you doing what you thought you would like to do when you were in 8th grade? I would love to ask that question to the members of the School Board. (The testing I took in 8th grade career developement said that I should be a 1st grade teacher or a museum curator.) Renee selected Culinary Arts as her major. I still have a hard time getting her to pitch in on dinner though. She did make blueberry pancakes for Father's Day and they were delish. We will see what type of course work she gets into for her major this year. The school has a Culinary Arts wing, so at least I know she won't be flipping burgers in the cafeteria.

Her school is also the only one in the County that has an A and B schedule. In an effort for the kids to be exposed to more subjects they have different classes every other day. They use a block schedule twice. So they bascially have 8 different 90 minute classes over 2 days. Some of the classes they will have on both of the days, but the elective type classes will be every other day. Last year was the first year they have successfully tried this. I am quite anxious to see what her schedule will be like.

She does have 2 HS classes that she completed last year in 8th grade, Algebra and Physical Science.

I will try to figure out how to add pictures to this later. I have some nice ones of them in thier promotion dresses. I don't have high speed at home and don't have the slot for my cameras sim card at work. I will have to talk to my niece, Janie, and have her show me how all of the picture stuff works.

3 comments:

  1. Goog God.....middle school and high school?!? Where has the time gone? I still think of your girls as "little". Guess they're not.

    As far as pictures go, I love Picassa. You can download it free and it is another Google gem so it has a button that says "blog this" and it puts the pics right in your post. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...holding G and typing......that should be "Good God"

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Beth Jess found your blog and forward link. I truly enjoyed pics and catching up on girls. They are beautiful. My challenge is posting a comment. Lets see if this works. I've tried Mandys and Kim's without any luck.

    ReplyDelete